Due to ice time demands, Casco Bay Arena will be limiting the Junior Varsity League to last year’s teams, and will not be able to add any new teams. In a perfect world, the league would only have 9 teams. However, we do not want to cut any team that played last year, and have appropriated ice to accommodate the League.
The following teams have registered for the League: 1) Falmouth; 2) Yarmouth/Cheverus; 3) Greely; 4) Windham/Westbrook; 5) South Portland/Waynflete/Freeport; 6) Cape Elizabeth; 7) MTA/Lisbon/Morse; 8) The Kings; 9) Thornton; 10) Scarborough; 11) Brunswick; 12 Biddefored/OOB/Massaesic; 13) Kennebunk.
Games & Cost
Teams will play a twelve-game regular season and will play each opponent at least once. The regular season will begin on Friday, November 25th and end on Friday, February 11th, contingent on MPA season dates for varsity programs. Playoffs will be single-elimination and each team will play 1-3 playoff games.
The top seven teams will play for the Casavant Memorial Cup and the bottom six teams will play for the Wakelin Cup. All games will be held at Casco Bay Arena.
The cost for 12 regular season games and 1-3 playoff games will be $2,300. This fee is for ice time only and does not include referee or trainer fees. Invoices will be sent out after the October 28th Registration Deadline.
This year, teams will be required to schedule referees and trainers directly. The Home Team in each game will be responsible for providing referees and a trainer.
Every week, four games will be scheduled for Friday night, one game will be scheduled for Saturday night at 9 pm, and one game will be scheduled for a weekday night at 9 pm depeding on ice availability. All teams must commit to playing weeknight games at 9 pm in order to enter the league. If we have fewer than 12 teams, the weeknight games at 9 pm will be eliminated. Each team will have three games scheduled for a weeknight or a Saturday night during the season.
Additional games will be scheduled during Winter Break. Playoffs will be held during February vacation. Our Preliminary Schedule of game time can be accessed here. We anticipate adding additional midweek hours if we have more than 11 teams in the League.
The available game dates will be posted on the Schedule page no later than November 1st. All teams must adhere to the following schedule:
- October 28th: Deadline for teams to register. This is a hard deadline since we will allocate ice based on the number of teams that have registered. We will not be able to accommodate any teams after this registration deadline.
- November 3rd: 6 pm Zoom Meeting. All teams must have a representative participating to go over scheduling and administration issues. The meeting will take less than 60 minutes.
- November 12th: Payment for League fee is due. Failure to pay this fee will result in team being dropped from the league.
- November 15th: All teams must submit a list of requested blackout dates for Friday night games and a list of three Saturday nights that they are available to play.
- November 16th: Schedule for first two weeks of the season will be posted to allow schools to schedule transportation, referees, and trainers.
- November 22nd: Final schedule will be posted and cannot be altered.
For more information, please contact Tom Marjerison at TMarjerison@nhdlaw.com.
Will Landry presents the Wakelin Cup to his teammates